Vodafone New Zealand's main office in Auckland, is a refurbished high-tech building housing over 1800 staff in comfort and style.
Client: Smales Farm
Architect: Warren & Mahoney
Contractor: NZ Strong Construction
The building was twenty years old and undergoing an extensive refurbishment. We were invited to put forward suggestions for a metal shading screen for a large curved glass façade.
The requirements were:
- to modernise the appearance of the building
- to reduce demand on mechanical cooling
- to improve the tenants' working environment by minimising glare from early morning sun.
- To engineer a minimalistic and aesthetically unobtrusive support structure capable of clear-spanning a large existing curtain wall, without penetrating the glazing.
- To install and deliver large volumes of products and materials at a site located right beside a busy main intersection.
We presented several options that complied with the brief, while requiring no fixing through the existing 20-year-old glazed curtainwall. Working alongside the architects, we arrived at final design of a 5-storey high, 21m-wide aluminium structure with vertical 450mm fins.
The vertical fins provide protection from early morning glare, while the horizontal perforated walkways offer shade from the later morning sun.